Wednesday, May 18, 2005

OMG--Grackles Attack

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

So, I've always had a thing for black birds-- starting with the fact that my grandpa's flight name is "Blackie." Next, I was raised on the Beatles and always adored the song "Blackbird"-- I mean, who doesn't. Then, there was that time when I was grounded for 3 months and memorized all the words to Edgar Allen Poe's Raven poem. By the way, Ravens, not Crows, are probably the most intelligent bird out there, so, beware. And, the movie "The Birds," by Alfred Hitchcock, was absolutely wonderful. I mean, how freaky to be attacked by black birds--plotting birds.

Then, I moved to Austin were I was first introduced to the Grackle. It took me a long time to even figure out what kind of black bird lived in the trees lining the mall parking lots. There were thousands of them. Whenever they moved to another tree, the sky would turn black. I knew that if they every decided to attack, I would probably die a horrible, tortured, bloody death. I have heard that birds (especially Ravens) will plot to kill, so, I was always afraid to go to the Austin malls.

Today, on CNN, I read an article that brought back all of my Austin memories.

HOUSTON, Texas (AP) -- Like a scene from the horror movie "The Birds," large black grackles are swooping down on downtown Houston and attacking people's heads, hair and backs.

Jesus. Thank god I left Texas.


BTW-- Did anyone watch the Brittany show on UPN last night?!! I couldn't believe how much she talked about humping-- I mean, I could, but I didn't want to hear it.

And-- I got a frickin boot on my car....and guess what....I have 3 days to fork over 690 dollars. Most of the time when I mention this fact to people, trying to get sympathy for being an idiot, they mention The Simpsons episode where Homer gets a boot on his car in New York City. Here's an exerpt:

Pleasant Female Voice: Thank you for calling the Parking Violations Bureau. To plead 'Not Guilty' press one now.
(Homer presses one)
Pleasant Female Voice: Thank You. Your call has been...
Gruff Male Voice: Rejected.
Pleasant Female Voice: You will be assessed the full fine, plus a small...
Gruff Male Voice: Large lateness penalty.
Pleasant Female Voice: Please wait by your vehicle between the hours of nine A.M. and five P.M. for Parking Officer Steve...
Gruff Male Voice: Grabowski.


And-- I lost my cell phone. So if you want to call me, wait until Friday when I switch service to Verizon and get a new camera phone. I'm keeping the same number tho.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home