Who Was That Freaky Girl You Brought to the Show?
Modest Mouse
Yoshi, Dan, Lauren and I went to see Modest Mouse last week (Thursday night) . They brought me because I happened to mention how much I loved the band and Isaac Brock's voice. I became "the girl obsessed with Isaac." As a fun treat, they brought me to meet Mr. Brock (after I was surprised to learn that both Yoshi and Dan were good friends with him). The night of the show, we drove to Berkeley and got our ticket and guest passes. I was shaking. I had a backstage pass that said "Modest Mouse Guest"-- I wanted to die right there and then...but it got even better. We went into the dressing room of Modest Mouse and I immediately noticed that the only people in the room were the roadies, the band and a few close friends. This was a VERY intimate gathering. I saw Isaac sitting in a chair, listening to his headphones, memorizing lyrics for the show. The rest of the members I didn't recognize--which was a really good thing, because when they spoke to me, I wasn't star struck. I sat on the ground, drinking one of their beers, when this guy sat down next to me and started taking off his shoes. He told me that he couldn't perform with heavy boots and was changing into his Vans and then proceeded to show me his stinky shirts. He said that he wore the same shirt every night he played. I later discovered that he was the drummer for the band.
After hanging out with people in the dressing room, a lady ran in to tell us to quit smoking, that a fire had broken out in another dressing room and the police and fire department were on their way. About two minutes later, the lady came in and announced that we were being evacuated--but only to back stage-- which was fine. We went back stage and continued drinking and hanging out. Eventually Modest Mouse were called on stage to play. Yoshi and I snuck onto the stage to watch the show. From my position, I could see the entire audience. I was in heaven!
After the show, we went back to the dressing room and hung out for a few more hours. I finally got the courage to approach Isaac. I asked him if I could have this framed poster that I had eyed on the wall. I laughed and said "I was thinking about stealing it." He responded with a smartass, "I'm not a fan of theft." The initial conversation was difficult and at one point I found myself talking about how, when I was six, I told my brother to lick a toilet-- what the hell was I thinking?!!!! But Isaac was not afraid, he offered me some wine and I lit his cigarette. I was ready to leave. I had hung out with Mr. Isaac Brock and I had sat on stage during a performance of Modest Mouse. My life was perfect.
Juan, the manager of Modest Mouse, gave me the poster on the wall. As soon as I got home, I hung it up and started jumping up and down-- God, I'm such a groupie!
A few days later, I ran into Yoshi and he told me that Isaac had text messaged him with the question "Who was that freaky girl that you brought to the show?"-- I was horrified. Yoshi started laughing and said, "Just Kidding! But you did tell him that you made your brother lick a toilet!"
the pumpkin masher

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home