Wednesday, October 26, 2005

The Tyde



Listening to The Tyde at Cafe du Nord actually helped make sense of my father. Yoshi had mentioned to me that my dad's singing voice sounded a little like the lead singer's, but I didn't get a full sense of it until last night at the show.

There was something so extremely Southern California about their songs, their styles....everything. I think they were Huntington Beach kids once... not sure tho. They were definitely surfers.

And my own father? Well, in the 70's he was a surfer. Turned hippie/musician. His musican stylings are very similar to The Tyde's. There is something hippie (in an indie kid way-- if that makes sense) about this band too... it was like I was looking at my own father in 1973, playing to a bunch of pothead surfers in San Diego or Carmel or Monterey. A world that I never knew, but a feeling I grew up with.

4 Comments:

At 10:55 AM, Blogger Tugboat Tug said...

I never thought Tom Waits would join a surf-rock band...

 
At 11:27 AM, Blogger Red Star Nezzie said...

yeah- that guy was weird lookin.

 
At 3:27 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

damn i wish i knew they were playing! I love them and have two of their (or their only two?) albums. yay.

 
At 3:29 PM, Blogger Red Star Nezzie said...

dan johnson was in a band with the bass player.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home