Monday, January 24, 2005

Bonnie Prince Billy Loves Rap Music

That's right. He does. I went to see him play in Big Sur on Friday. It was an awesome show. The Bonnie Prince with Matt Sweeney, on a Gibson Guitar. There must have been about 100 people (mostly from the Bay Area- I think) at the show. Sean Smith opened at the Fernwood Resort and played an awesome instrumental show-- on guitar. Then came the main attraction. Jesus. Can music get more beautiful? I was swooning. Reminds me of the time I saw the Bay Area Band, The Finches, play at an SF bookstore. I swooned then too.

Anyhow, Bonnie Prince Billy moved me with this song--

Y'tell me you don't love me
Well I don't love you.
You say you don't want me
Well I don't want you
You tell me there are other
Fish in the sea
And another gathers
Roses for me,
On this we will agree
You do what you want
And I will do what I want;
I'm now free of master and everyone,
Servant of all and servant to none
And constancy and love is a joke
I'm not afraid of meeting you
I'm fickle, and I brag about it;
Neither will I cry for you.Like a bird freed from his cage,
All night and all day I'll play and sing.
And you do what you want
And I will do what I want;
I'm now free of master and everyone,
Servant of all and servant to none


That's right. I was all secretly sad and stuff.

At the end of the set, Bonnie Prince Billy asked everyone to stay for a dance party. I will describe this in as little detail as possible. One I-pod, playing rap music. 40 or so indie rockers shaking their booties. One groupie. One chick taking her shirt off and a bottle of rum and a can of coke. You put the rest together.




0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home